Over the holidays, I was graciously sent a sample pack of Aduna’s baobab and moringa superfood powders to use and review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
When I received these amazing samples, I immediately started to think about how I could incorporate them into a recipe. First I decided to use the baobab in oats, which was the first meal I had after returning from a week-long beach vacation. The baobab was the most delicious edition, giving the oats a rich and mildly sweet flavor. Perfect! Next I used it in pancakes, and that is the recipe I chose to share with you today, because it has become an instant favorite of mine. Who doesn’t love healthy and superfood-packed pancakes?! Loaded with antioxidants and skin- and hair-boosting powers, baobab is definitely one of the most super of all the superfoods. It is also a valuable potential export for the communities in rural Africa that produce it, so its social impact is definitely worthy of mention.
Without further ado, enjoy this recipe for sugar-free, spelt flour baobab pancakes! And let’s make baobab famous.
- 1/3 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 mashed banana (might need closer to 3/4 of the banana, as I also added in some mashed cherimoya when I made mine!)
- 1/4 cup almond milk, plus a splash more if batter seems too thick
- 2 tsp (more or less to taste) Aduna baobab powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients (first three ingredients above, plus the baobab) with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Add your mashed fruit (I used half of a mashed banana and 1/4 of a mashed cherimoya, but any mashed fruit will work, as long as it is a smooth puree).
- Mix up just to combine.
- Add your almond milk and vanilla and mix up just until incorporated
- Add another splash of almond milk if necessary to achieve a smooth but not-too-thin consistency.
- Cook in a pan on low heat with a bit of coconut oil for about 2 minutes on one side or until golden brown and set on top (bubbles should form small craters on the surface). Flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side. Eat ’em up!