Unless you’ve been in some sort of coma for the last couple years, you’ve probably heard of açaí. Jokes, jokes. But this superfood has taken over the food community by storm recently, and shows no signs of fading into the background any time soon. I first discovered it in powder form, but to be honest if you can get your hands on the frozen kind, you’ll get way more flavor for your money. The powder can be a little bitter while the frozen packets (I love the Sambazon brand) are packed with flavor and add substance to your smoothie or bowl. Either way though, it’s definitely a trend for a reason. Totally addictive and not easily masked by other flavors, açaí blends well with frozen banana and other frozen fruits. I love adding boosts of superfoods like maca, baobab, and vegan protein blends, and slopping on every topping under the sun (homemade granola and banana chips are always some of my favorites!) No matter how you eat it, it’s definitely one of the key players in the superfood game, as it’s loaded with antioxidants. Here’s my slightly-alternative take on the classic açaí bowl.
- 1/2 cup Bai5 Brasilia Blueberry (sub water or coconut water)
- 1 Sambazon frozen açaí pack
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen cherries (sub blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries)
- 1/2 cup frozen mango (sub pineapple)
- 1 tsp maca powder (I use Organic Burst)
- 1 tbsp Kachava vegan protein blend
- Toppings: homemade caramelized buckinis, fresh banana featured here; other favorites include banana chips, fresh berries, homemade granola, and toasted coconut chips.
- First rinse the frozen açaí pack under warm water to slightly melt. Remove plastic and break apart into blender. Add the rest of the ingredients except the maca and vegan protein blend.
- Blend well on high speed until everything is combined into a thick consistency. Add more liquid if you prefer it thinner.
- Add the maca and vegan protein blend and stir or blend to combine thoroughly.
- Pour into bowl, add toppings and devour!