Whether or not you’re an adherent to the whole “detox” thing, whether or not you ever actually find yourself craving something thick and green to drink, I think you’ll enjoy this one. I set out with the mission of making a green smoothie that literally anyone could enjoy. I wanted something simple and sort of sweet, but not overly sweet, with lots of greens and adaptable flavors that you can customize to whatever you have on hand. There are a few “key” ingredients here that really boost the flavor profile of this smoothie above any other green smoothie I’ve made or tried before (including the lemon, ginger, and turmeric). I really really like this one, and I hope you guys do too! If you make it, tag me on instagram or leave a comment below.
Ingredients (for one smoothie):
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- two big handfuls of mixed greens (I used baby greens)
- 1 large or 1.5 medium frozen bananas (cut into chunks before freezing)
- 1/2 chopped fresh white peach (nectarine would also work)
- 1/2 inch piece of chopped ginger
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder (or equivalent fresh grated turmeric)
- small pinch black pepper (trust me)
- 1 chopped medjool date
- 1 serving of neutral or vanilla protein powder (optional, I used LivWell)
- Blend up the water, mixed greens, and lemon juice first until completely liquefied.
- Add the banana, peach, date, and blend again until completely incorporated.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper, and optional protein powder. Blend again.
- Drink up!
- The black pepper is added because it helps your body absorb the turmeric! Trust me, you won’t taste it.
- The medjool date adds a bit of sweetness to this, but if you don’t mind it a bit more bitter and are seeking to lower the sugar levels of this drink, feel free to leave it out.